Monday, April 16, 2012

Advanced Illustrator HW #10 - My Dinner with...

References
Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors and his Discworld series is absolutely fantastic.  The setting and other elements for this composition comes straight from his books, from the half-timber buildings and Librarian turned ape to the foods on the menu and the pet swamp dragon Errol.  I even created the type for the "My dinner with..." text (with the pen tool) to be reminiscent of the type used on the covers of many of Terry's books.
I was initially going to set the background to an interior bar-room scene and then I found images of these amazing half-timber models which suited the image in my head.  The hardest part of this composition was manipulating the cobbled street to match the half-timber models in the background.  I did this by starting with a repeatable cobble pattern that I used along the bottom of the image, which I then used the puppet warp tool to warp the cobbles to follow the line of the buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment